Thursday, February 24, 2011

Neologism Society

Take that mother-in-law!
Above is my attempt to grab your attention and tell you exactly what my blog is about.  I'll continue trying to be more clever in future posts.

While finishing up my attempt to study for today's quiz I quickly Google searched the web for "neologisms" hoping a website might motivate me to coin my own word.  I still haven't come up with a word, but I did find this gem of a website where a Neologism Competition is offered once a month.  If he were alive today would Shakespeare the winner each month?  Or, by asking that am I admitting I believe that he is the reigning champ of wordsmithing?  My personal neologism is "guestion" as in "halfway between a guess and an answer to a question."  A person is guestioning and not answering when there voice slightly raises in pitch, signalling they aren't completely sure of the answer they are attempting to give.  Example:  When Dr. Sexson asked James the Rat for a quiz guestion, James guestioned something about mythology.  I hope guestion isn't actually a word...
I also like the word "lecturaction" or "lecturesation" which would essentially be when you are trying to partake in a conversation with another person, but they begin to lecture you on the subject originally intended to be discussed.  I also like to call these people "toppers" because they always have to prove you wrong, or out-do your knowledge on the subject at hand.

On a similar study-for-the-quiz note, I finally was able to use "These are the counselors that feelingly persuade me what I am.  My soon-to-be mother-in-law lives in Vermont and her bi-weekly emails typically are concerned with 1) the wedding 2) horses and 3) the weather.  The following is today's sequence of emails:

Lynn: How are you? I see that you have snow and it's ass cold out there.  Nice and sunny in Vermont today.  Did you win that HGTV dream house yet?  Eric and I will come and bring you guys back, but you have to start packing.

Me:  Have I told you that you are my favorite cynic in the world?  No, we did win the dream home and our weather is just delightful.  Must I remind you that it is February and still winter?  And, I don't believe that the sun is shining in Vermont.  You are full of lies.  You have grown soft in your old age woman.  We're staying...you might as well pack your bags and move out here.

Lynn:  I don't know why you want to live out there.  There are mountains with snow, horses, and ME in Vermont...don't you miss us?

Me:  My dearest mother-in-law, what Montana offers is what we desire most in our lives right now...for these are the counselors that feelingly persuade me what I am.

Lynn:  I speak English, write back when you do as well and you're ready to get your hands dirty...you little shit.

Don't get me wrong, Lynn is an amazing person and although we rarely see eye-to-eye she is one of my favorite people in this world.  She is the Touchstone in the play of my life; not because she is a fool, but because she criticizes the behaviors of those around her with bawdy innuendo.  Lynn may not seem like someone you'd like to have around, but having a fool/jester/Touchstone of person in your life is just as refreshing as having a Rosalind in your life.  The people in my life, just like the weather, are the counselors the feelingly persuade me what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment