Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Giving Tree

Yes, I admit that I have felt inferior lately in my ability to express my knowledge of Shakespeare, or the connections that I haven't yet made...and likewise I have felt a similar inferiority when reading about the books of my classmates that are their "Bibles" because my book isn't long and it isn't intense or philosophical.  It's short and colorful, with words that are easy to read and a lesson that is unmistakable.  Laugh at me if you must, but my "Bible" is Shel Silverstein's, The Giving Tree.  


In a few small ways I believe that this story could be related to Shakespeare because it is simply about a relationship between a boy and a tree in the forest.  Shakespeare always writes about relationships and the element of nature appears both in Shakespeare and the book.  Perhaps it is a far stretch, but nevertheless I enjoy this book.  Too often I feel like I am searching for answers and meaning while I read the texts suggested to me in my classes.  Even when I pick up a book of my own choosing I find myself needing to analyze every detail as though I am a trained detective who can no longer view the world for what is it at that very moment.  With The Giving Tree the message is clear and the few words speak volumes.  This book represents the human condition in my mind and I applaud it for taking something so complex and making it understandable for all ages.  My admittance of liking a "children's book" in an upper level literature class may cause some to raise their noses at me, but I don't mind.  Perhaps we all should reread a simply story about a boy and a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment