Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pericles...oh my!

Dear Bill,
              What the heck were you thinking when you wrote Pericles?

Perhaps it is because I just quickly (well as quickly as one can read SP) read through Pericles Prince of Tyre that I am both over and underwhelmed.  I had forgotten what Carrie told us a few classes back about people magically coming back to life until Thaisa's casket is being opened and she is suddenly alive.  Often my favorite musicians will produce a few albums of the same style and genre that I consistently like, then all of a sudden WHAM!! they produce something so far off of the grid that I have to step back and say "what the heck were you thinking?"  Pericles is similar in the way that it is completely different from what I have read of SP previously.  Typically when I hear my favorite artists new take on music I instantly hate the album, but then it slowly grows on me.  I hope in my second and more thorough reading of Pericles the same will happen.

Till next time when I have something semi-intelligent to profess...

No comments:

Post a Comment